Kittens start shedding their teeth as early as seven weeks of age. Your kitten’s baby teeth will eventually fall out and the teething toy will help you keep your kitten happy and healthy.
Teething can be painful for your kitten, and having something to chew on will help them feel comfortable – plus, they won’t be chewing on things they shouldn’t! Teething toys for kittens are a great choice for this, as they’re specifically designed to comfort them, as well as provide them with some pain relief.
In addition to chewing toys to help your kitten teethe, playing with your kitten is essential for providing them with mental stimulation as well as physical activity to ensure their health and happiness. It’s a good idea to get your kitten a chew toy if you don’t already have one.
Top Picks For The Best Kitten Teething Toys
Do Kittens Need Teething Toys?
Just like human babies, kittens experience discomfort when teething. Providing your kitten something to chew on rather than your finger can help them relieve some discomfort.
A chew toy is also a good way to promote healthy gums and new teeth growth. When your kitten bites down on the toy, the pressure relieves the pain. They will also get to practice their hunting skills.
So, they get to relieve pain and practice their hunting skills.
The Best Kitten Teething Toys
Kitten teething toys should be soft and gentle on your kitten’s gums, but still firm enough for them to bite into. Materials to choose from are rubber, wood, and soft plastic.
You can expect your kitten to chew on their new toy for hours and while it’s impossible to find a cat teething toy that is completely indestructible, I looked for toys that are up to the challenge.
A kitten’s toys must also be safe, meaning the material must be non-toxic. This is because your kitten will be chewing the toys constantly and could break small bits off. Keeping that in mind I looked for toys that don’t present a choking hazard.
Catnip-infused toys ranked higher than toys that did not contain catnip because cats are much more inclined to use them.
Having a soothing effect on kittens is another benefit of the catnip teething toys.
Having considered all these factors, here are the recommendations for the best kitten teething toys.
Petstages Catnip Plaque Away Pretzel
- HELPS CLEAN TEETH: Petstages dental cat...
- TOSS AND BAT: Bring out the little...
- PROMOTES POSITIVE CHEWING BEHAVIOR:...
Keeping your cat’s oral health in good condition is essential to maintaining a healthy overall health. Cats of all ages can enjoy playing with innovative dental toys developed by Petstages.
The innovative pretzel shape toy is encased in a flossy netting that helps freshen breath and supports dental health.
- It contains catnip to keep cats entertained for longer periods of time.
- Dimensions: 212 x 2 x 34 inches.
- There are many different patterns and colors (blue, green, purple, red and orange) – colors are at random!
SmartyKat Skitter Critters
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
The SmartyKat Skitter Critters Value Pack Catnip Cat Toys will give your kitty the thrill of the chase. It won’t take long for your kitty to get lots of swatting, batting, chasing and chasing fun out of this mischievous pack of mice.
You’ll have no problem tossing them around and watching your little hunter run, and they’re filled with 100% pure, potent catnip to keep them occupied as they play. When your kitty needs some healthy exercise, bring them out or let them play independently since they’re easy to catch, carry, and bat.
- Make interactive playtime irresistible by satisfying your kitty’s prey-seeking instincts.
- This pure catnip boosts your kitty’s excitement levels with its chemical-free and pesticide-free properties.
- A plush design and fluffy ears will keep your kitty entertained, while ribbon tails and flappy ears will encourage him to play.
- Great to add daily exercise to support toned muscles and keep your kitty active and healthy.
- Easy-to-carry design means your kitty can play with them on his own
Petstages Dental Kitty Chew Wheel Catnip Cat Toy
- ENCOURAGES HEALTHY CHEWING: The Dental...
- HELPS CLEAN TEETH: The Petstages Dental...
- REDIRECT BAD BEHAVIOR: If your kitty...
This Catnip & Dental Cat Toy in a “chew wheel” design is a fantastic kitten teething toy for cats.
Designed for cats, this teething toy is made from non-toxic rubber, which makes it an ideal material for a kitty toy. You can use it to soothe your kitten’s sore gums while also keeping him extremely durable and capable of withstanding a lot of chewing. As a result, you won’t need to constantly replace them.
It has the ability to be frozen without getting damaged because of the materials it’s made with. Your kitten will experience additional pain relief when chewing on a chilled teething toy.
It has a ring-shaped structure that allows them to easily grasp it, and its surface is covered in soft spikes. This is a good choice for kittens whose teeth have not yet emerged, since they could ruin the outer coating if over chewed.
Additionally, the catnip oil infused in this toy will help deter destructive behavior in your cat and add a bit of added fun. It is also attached with two little ribbons to keep their attention.
- This cat toy is made from durable rubber that is safe for cats
- Kittens with teething gums need gentle care
- Your kitten can comfortably chew on the shape
- They enjoy the feeling of soft spikes on their gums
- For extra enticement, it is infused with catnip oil
- Can be frozen for added soothing effects
- Kittens with their first teeth should use this product
Yeowww Catnip Banana Cat Toy
- Catnip filled toy.
- Fun textures.
- All handmade.
A Yeowww is a Kitten’s best friend! Because it’s filled with the highest quality catnip, the Yellow Banana Cat Toy is perfect for your cat.
Each toy is hand sewn and stuffed with 100% organic catnip that comes from a trusted farmer. The outer material is made of thick cotton twill that will withstand multiple cat bites and bunny kickings.
With this handcrafted banana toy, you don’t have to worry about cotton fillers, plastic pieces that could stab your cat or other undesirable materials that can be found in cheaper toys.
- Produced from cotton twill with only natural vegetable and soy-based dyes
- Toys are made with 100% organic catnip grown without the use of pesticides and stuffed with just the leaves and flower tops so that the catnip will last a long time
- Perfect for scratching, biting, and chasing cats
- A 100% made in America toy, individually stuffed and hand-sewn
- What you’ll like about this catnip is that it doesn’t contain plastic pieces or fillers
OurPets Red Chilli Catnip Chew Toy
- CATNIP FILLED: OurPets...
- INTERACTIVE CAT TOY: The OurPets Cosmic...
- MENTAL & PHYSICAL STIMULATION: Cats need...
Cosmic Catnip is grown in North America by OurPets and has a strong aroma and of catnip. When catnip leaves are pinched, the aroma in the dried leaves is released, making cats go wild! Almost all cats enjoy catnip as a harmless, playful stimulant.
In order to avoid boredom and satisfy their hunting instincts, cats require mental stimulation through play. By appealing to your cat’s natural instincts, the OurPets Cosmic Catnip Cat Toys encourage physical play and mental stimulation.
The Original Cat Twig
With CatTwig’s Silver Vine Sticks, you’ll be able to get your feline going! With its all-natural, high-potency ingredients, this organic and unpressed Silver Vine will have your little one rolling, bouncing, and purring in no time.
This eco-friendly treat, commonly known as catnip of Asia, is an ideal way to stimulate lazy cats while improving dental health and reducing stress.
It’s as simple as introducing your little one to a new toy, and he or she will be blown away by the cuteness that ensues. To ensure maximum freshness, CatTwigs come in re-sealable bags made of recycled materials.
- Silver Vine is 100% organic, all-natural, and all-natural.
- Exfoliating bark keeps teeth and gums clean and healthy.
- The effects of high-potency catnip last for 20-30 minutes, significantly longer than catnip.
- Activates cats that are lethargic and lazy by encouraging them to play.
Petco Leaps & Bounds Kitten Toy with Catnip
- Little Paws Teething Mouse Kitten Toy...
- Textured mouse ears provide a safe and...
- Oversized plush head doubles as a cuddle...
The Leaps & Bounds Little Paws Teething Mouse is a plush mouse chew toy filled with catnip that has chewable ears.
Having flat mouse ears makes it possible for kittens of all ages to get their jaws around them. As well as exfoliating and massaging your kittens gum line, they help soothe it.
A cat kicker toy with textured rubber ears, an oversized plush head, and an enticing tail, ideal for teething kittens to chew. It has a mesh appearance that helps develop your kitten’s keen sense of curiosity and inquisitiveness while flossing its teeth at the same time.
Nevertheless, some kittens won’t find them extremely comfortable as they are made of plastic. Furthermore, older cats could potentially break the ears off quite easily given the chance.
- It can be chewed, kicked, and cuddled
- Specially designed for kittens
- Flossing teeth can be made easier with mesh bodies
- It is beneficial for teething cats to have flat, textured ears
- Catnip-stuffed to encourage play
How Do I Know If My Kitten Is Teething?
Kittens will usually show signs of teething in a couple of ways. Here are the most common below.
- Chewing – Kittens will begin to chew on everything and anything. Fingers are fair game and rather sought after. It doesn’t stop there though, shoes, belts, handbags and even couches are all fair game.
- More Vocal – Your kitten will make themselves heard that they are in some sort of discomfort. We must learn the different types of meows our cat makes and what they mean.
- Eating Less – Just like we would, if we have a toothache we’d likely lose our appetite. The same goes here for your kitten. It’s always a good idea to monitor their food intake through this period.
In case you don’t pick up on any of these signs, there is one you can’t miss. Your cat’s teeth actually fall out and while there is no official tooth fairy, you could give them a chew toy instead.
Here are 15 cool facts about kittens you might not know about.
This will help promote healthy gums, and speed up the process of teething and help their adult teeth to come through.
Kitten Teething Chew Toy Buying Guide
There is a lot of choice on the market when it comes to teething toys for kittens. It can be confusing or difficult to decide which one to go for. Below is a helpful guide you can use to help you make the right choice.
While choosing a kitten teether, durability is one of if not the most important factor to consider. You need a toy that can withstand your cat’s sharp teeth chewing and nibbling it time and time again.
Ideally, kitten teething toys should be durable, with no parts sticking out from the main body of the toy that will get chewed off. In addition, all fabric toys will be double-stitched at the seams to prevent them from ripping or tearing.
In addition to the toy’s design, its material should be durable, such as rubber, plastic, or wood.
Toys made with catnip are great for kittens, as they encourage them to play with their toys and help ease stress.
Catnip may, however, not work for your cat, or they may react negatively to it. If that’s the case then you should choose catnip-free cat teething toys.
The key is to find a toy that will interest your cat with other features such as ribbons or strings, especially if it is not stuffed with catnip.
You’re likely to have several types of toys for your cats to pick from, so think of what your cat enjoys.
A ball-shaped chew toy is perfect if your cat enjoys chasing balls. Plush toys, however, may also be the best chew toys for your cat if they love to carry around their possessions. It is a good idea to try out several toys if you’re not sure what your kitten likes.
A kitten’s safety has to be a priority when buying chewing toys, as should be the case when looking after your kitten and keeping them out of mischief. It is critical that teething toys for kittens are made from material that is non-toxic, safe for cats, and that contains no harmful dyes.
To ensure your cat does not end up ripping the stuffing open, check the stuffing of any soft toys you get. In addition to any toy that has small parts that could come loose, you should avoid any that is easily breakable or frayable.
Gummi, plastic, and plush make up the three main components of chewing toys. Purchasing a sturdy nylon kitten toy can also be a great option for you or you can look for natural wood.
It is up to you to choose which material is most likely to please your cat, as they all feel completely different in their mouths.
Those that are hard are great because they gently massage your kitten’s gums as they chew, while plush toys are softer and more comforting for sensitive gums.
In order to identify what your cat likes best, it may take some trial and error with new toys, but you can consider what they are playing with at the moment to determine their preferences.
At What Age Do Kittens Teeth?
Kittens are born with no teeth and as they age go through certain stages of teething and teeth development. Below is a timeline guide to teeth growth for kittens.
- New Born – No teeth
- 2 Weeks – Incisors will start showing at the front of the mouth.
- 4 Weeks – At 4 weeks old their canines or fangs will begin to show.
Want to know When do cats stop growing? You can read more about that in the article linked.
- 6 Weeks – You will start to notice what’s called premolars beginning to show. Also known as milk teeth.
- 6 – 12 Weeks – By the end of the 12th week your kitten should have, 4 canine teeth, 10 premolars, and 12 incisors.
- 12 Weeks – 4 Months – You’ll notice the milk teeth falling out and when they reach 4 months old all their permanent incisors are present.
- 5 Months – By now the permanent canine or fangs are set in place
- 6 Months – All 10 adult premolars should be in place
- Moving into adulthood – From here the 4 remaining molars will come through and you cat will now be developing a total of 30 permanent teeth.
Simple Tips To Stop Your Kitten From Chewing
Get Them Chew Toys – Don’t let them chew your finger or furniture, buy them a chew toy they’ll love.
Discipline – Believe it or not, you can actually train your cat and discipline them. Click the link to learn more about how to discipline your cat.
Teach Them No! – Don’t be fooled, cats have the ability to learn commands and the word no. They’re just far more stubborn than dogs so you will need a lot of time and practice.
Conclusion On Kitten Teething Toys
Kitten teething toys are a simple yet effective way to help your kitten through their teething stage.
They also double up as a natural play toy and come in all shapes and sizes. It may take a few tries to find the right one for your cat but when you do, boy do they love them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do kittens bite a lot when teething?
Just like babies, kittens and cats will chew on things when teething, which includes are fingers and ankles. The reason they want to bite everything is to help ease the discomfort they feel in their gums.
How do you stop my kitten from biting me?
There are two very effective ways to stop biting. Give them a chew toy and learn how to discipline your cat when they do something wrong.
Last update on 2021-10-18 at 06:54 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API